Grant Buist (born 1973) is a New Zealand cartoonist and animator.
He writes Jitterati (a satire on latte sipping cafe values; as well on as contemporary political and social developments) for the weekly Wellington City newspaper The Capital Times. Jitterati hit the 500th episode in May 2012. A compilation book of Jitterati strips was published in 2009.
Grant also produced the cult New Zealand alt comic strip Brunswick from 1993 to 2003. By the time that it ended, Brunswick was appearing in almost all New Zealand student newspapers, including Salient and Craccum, giving the strip the widest national distribution that a New Zealand underground comix had ever received. In celebration of Brunswick, Victoria University of Wellington erected a Brunswick Mural, and the walls of one of the library lifts was covered in a Brunswick collage. In 2006, Brunswick was turned into a series of short films for the Wellington information kiosks. In 2007 BATS Theatre staged Brunswick-based musical Fitz Bunny: Lust for Glory (FB:L4G), which set a box office record for Young & Hungry festival, BATS Theatre’s celebration of young talent. An updated and refocussed version of the satirical play was produced in Auckland in 2010, which was considered one of the top five plays of the year by national newspaper The New Zealand Herald.
In 2007 he was the graphic designer for Salient. He has also animated music videos for cult New Zealand bands The Shirleys and OdESSA. In the short time, between 2008 and 2010, Grant established a account on Pixton where he created a three panel comic entitled Desert Funnies. The comic series was about two friendly cacti in the desert, it relied on visual gags and humor that ranged from light to almost metaphorical and poetic standards. The series reached 211 issues. Grant has also participated in several art exhibitions.
- MUVIMAC Awards 2001 – Best Actor, Best Soundtrack, Best Film for Get Brunswick
- DIVA Awards 2001 -Best Kiss & Best Animation for Get Brunswick
- MUVIMAC Awards 2002 – Best Actor, Best Animation & Best Soundtrack for The Brunswick Soundtrack
- MUVIMAC Awards 2003 – Best Credits for ‘Palmerston North Vampire’
- Wellington Fringe Festival Special Competition 2004 – 2nd place for Oranges Will Bring Us Together
- Eric Awards 2006 – Best Webcomic in NZ Comics for Jitterati